What to expect at a LIVE/HYBRID Workshop!
BEST LIVE / HYBRID
You can not beat hands-on learning!
Participants first complete the online program and then come to a LIVE workshop where we focus on skill practice and development while focusing on individual needs.
We create a relaxed, comfortable and fun learning environment where participants feel safe to truly get their 'hands wet' and practice new skills.
With instructor facilitated skills stations, participants are guided through realistic simulations of birth emergencies and then provided ample opportunity to repeat skills until muscle memory develops.
Participants can also use 'strap on' models to re-create birth emergency scenarios while using newly learned B.E.S.T mnemonics where one participant acts as the birthing person while the other takes the role of the midwife.
Come share the experience and network with other birth workers in your community!
The BEST LIVE / HYBRID is accredited through MEAC for 18 contact hours (1.8 CEUs) and ACNM for 16 contact hours (1.6 CEUs).
*Bridge Certificate Eligible*
Only $500 + $35 (paid online) for 10 hours of online education PLUS a whole day worth of hands-on skills practice!
Join us and learn to quickly and effectively manage birth emergencies!
The live workshop provides participants with the opportunity to practice hands-on skills with instructor facilitated skills stations and practice scenarios with the models provided. Be prepared to utilize every minute of this day to practice, have fun and share stories - learning from each other.
The flow of the day is as follows:
- We begin with introductions and basic instructions for a successful workshop experience
- We then break up into two groups, each facilitated by a different instructor
- Within these groups, participants rotate through various skill stations with individualized instruction and opportunity for practice
- Practice scenarios with models are always available to keep participants busy with applying newly learned or mastered skills in 'real time'. This is where your acting skills may be demonstrated!
- We then switch groups and begin again so all participants have the opportunity to move through all the skill stations
- Then we break into debriefing groups for 20 minutes providing the time and space for midwives to share stories. What worked, what didn't work and how they would do things differently next time. During this time, the instructors stay busy setting up new skill stations for the groups
- We continue in this fashion throughout the day and have a quick break for lunch
- We are invested in your learning and encourage participants to ask questions
You will learn:
B.E.S.T Concepts, Mnemonics and Algorithms
Increase awareness and competence in caring for diverse populations and understanding racial disparities
Recognize at risk pregnancies
Root causes and management of intrapartum bleeding
Recognition and management of pregnancy hypertension
Manage postpartum hemorrhage with confidence and competence be targeting treatment strategies at the root cause
Manage shoulder dystocia effectively
Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) review included and Certification available for additional charge
Techniques for safe transport of mother presenting with cord prolapse
Management of shock
How to facilitate smooth transfers
Practice IV insertion and suturing if desired
- Oh my goodness there is so much to learn! Are you hungry to know it all?
Details about what you will learn in the BEST Live/Hybrid
About the 6 Modules of Learning
About Hands-on Practice
About the Lessons and Format
About Reflective Active Discussions
Who benefits from BEST?
Interested in Hosting a Workshop in your Home Community?
Hosting a workshop is a fun way to bring BEST to your doorstep! We understand that busy midwives often can not travel for trainings which is why we do the travelling! We bring along our (4), 50lbs suitcases, full of all the fun equipment used to set up birth emergency simulations so you can practice your skills while developing the muscle memory and confidence you need to better serve your community.
We travel across the United States (Including Alaska and Hawaii), Canada, and Puerto Rico bringing these essential, life saving skills to midwives, doctors, nurses and other birth workers. Ask us about travel to Europe, we would love to come!
Remember, BEST also offers Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) certification as an additional half day workshop. Participants who also attend BEST get a discount! Between BEST and NRP, you earn 26 CEU's in just 1 1/2 days!
Click on the options below to learn more and/or
email Andrea Dixon at [email protected] to get started!
Host benefits include:
- Comfort of home with no travel necessary
- Host attends for free when 15 participants attend
- Opportunity to connect more deeply with surrounding midwifery community
- We are committed to increasing the diversity of midwives
- One Midwife of Color (MOC) scholarship offered per workshop
- MOC scholarship may be shared between 2-4 participants to increase access to the workshop
Get on the Calendar:
- First step is to save your dates by contacting us to discuss options
- Send a $200 deposit
- Start planning! We help you every step of the way
- Provide registration form and help advertise on social media and website
Don't leave yourself wondering if your knowledge and skills are up to date!
Birth Emergency Skills Training®
Participant testimonials, shared with permission.
"I drove to the workshop feeling a little silly for even coming b/c I was considering leaving midwifery. I've had two traumatic births in my first year, I'm realizing my apprenticeship didn't prepare me well, my confidence was lacking so much that I couldn't even call myself a midwife easily.
After completing it, I walked away a different midwife. Yes, I am a midwife and I know how to handle scary situations. I am equipped and ready. I think this training probably will become a turning point in my midwifery story.
Thank you for so thoughtfully framing the hands on portion as a place FOR us to learn whatever we need and not just for us to use to check off that we've attended/performed. It really was created to meet our individual needs, whatever they were when we walked in the doors. Thank you, thank you, thank you. May God bless you rich!"
"This workshop was exactly what I needed to overcome some traumatic births."
"I loved that I could tell Andrea exactly what I needed to practice and she led it."
"I really appreciated the accessibility of the online course, as well as the in person portion. Being able to pace myself and take in the online material helped my learning -- I could take breaks as needed and let the material sink in in ways that are difficult when all the material is presented all at once in an in person-only format. It worked really well for me."
"The in depth review we receive in this workshop is need for the safety of our patients and our livelihoods. Your workshops are a blessing!"
“BEST was fantastic, it was hands down the best CEU course I have ever taken in my 25 years of being a Nurse-Midwife”
Don't let the sun set
on your birth emergency skills.
Birth Emergency Skills Training®
prepared for the unexpected!
When you are well equipped and prepared to handle anything, you can relax and sink into fully supporting the birthing before you.
Contact Us Today!